Sunday, August 14, 2011

Do you love the fair as much as I do?

Every year I really enjoy going to our local Ventura County Fair! I do not usually like to put up with crowds, and probably would not do it if it was LA fair or OC, but the Ventura County fair is just the right size and distance to work for me! And, as I have mentioned before, I use this blog as a type of journaling since I blog and then copy much of it into my journal to stay somewhat up-to-date on my journaling. So, I thought I would share a few of my favorite things to do/eat/get at the fair that I look forward to every year as well as a few new memories made this year at the fair...I am sure they are not unique traditions or thoughts, but this is what brings me back each year!


I love that a big part of the fair is about others sharing their talents with the public - whether it be through cooking, animals, crafts, or performing. I love to scope out the different performers at the fair every year. This year there were some great ones and Mitchell was enthralled with watching most of the performances we went to see (while Shayla did not want to stay still for very long). My favorite performance this year was the Powerhouse Percussive Dance - a mix of tap, Irish step and stomp. So neat! I also enjoy looking at all the fun baked goods especially the decorated cakes. I also LOVE to go to the photography building to check out all the great photos!

A main stop for me is the Commercial Buildings. There are a few booths I go to every year and would not feel that I have made a proper fair visit without these. First, I always stop at the Vitamix booth because years ago I bought my Vitamix at the fiar and it is still one of my favorite and most used purchases! They sold me the first time by making ice cream with cabbage mixed in and you could not even tell it had cabbage in it - I still use that trick today! So, I always go to see what tips and tricks they can show me so I can get more use out of my Vitamix! Then I stop at the Random Things booth - I am not sure what the right name of the booth is, but they sell all sorts of small and actually useful things. This year I got a mini magnifying glass for Shayla and our treasure/scavenger hunts. Then I stop at the Fruit and Nuts booth where they sell delicious candied nuts and dried fruits. I always stock up on my favorite condiment - Butter Toffee Sunflower Seeds (great for everything from salads, yogurt and ice cream!).

One of Gene's ToysOne of the other places I really like to stop at and that Shayla enjoys as much as me is the toy area in the Youth Arts Exhibit with the "Gene West Wonderful Working Wooden Toys." Basically, there are hundreds of handmade, one-of-a kind, wood toys all made by one guy, Gene West. They are so unique, fun and interactive and Gene is always there to watch the joy on the kids faces as they play with them. He makes the toys but never sells them but brings them to fairs and festivals and such for kids to play with! Such a neat hobby to share with others. Even Mitchell got in on the fun with these this year - too bad I did not get any photos of them playing with them!

And, of course, I love to see the animals - esp the baby animals - this year the baby goats and pigs were so cute! So next year when you visit the fair, think of some of my favorite places and if you get a chance - check them out!

Anyway, here are a few photos from this year's fair adventures!

Shayla and a horse who almost bit her hat off after this pic was taken!

Mitchell enjoying the shows!



Shayla loving the rides!



After Shayla got on her first ride, Mitchell got so upset that he was not able to be on the rides too, so after that we had to go on a few rides that both kids could go on - the spinning bears and virtual rollercoaster - they both loved them!


Until next summer...

Posted by Picasa

No comments: