"Does your child turn up their nose and refuse to eat broccoli, spinach or Brussels sprouts? It may be genetically programmed and beyond your control. If your child is a supertaster, their taste buds may be extra sensitive to the bitter compounds found in vegetables and certain fruits. In one study, non-taster children consumed more vegetables, particularly bitter tasting vegetables, than did the taster children during a free-choice intake test." http://supertastertest.com
Okay, so in my quest to find out why kids are such picky eaters and why Shayla diet subsists of very limited items I have found out a few interesting things:
First, it seems no one has a real solution to the "picky eater" problem as there are many articles on this topic but no real answers!
Second, kids tend to prefer things because their tastebuds are super-sensitive because in the "caveman days" they had to be able to know when something was bitter so they would not eat anything posionous (i.e. poison berries leave - today = many vegetables)
Third, most interestingly, the concept of supertasters! Supposedly "Supertasters experience taste with far greater intensity the average person. About 25 percent of Americans are supertasters, a group with an unusually high number of taste buds. If you love food more than most, you may have inherited supertaster genes."
Why some people hate veggies? "Evidence suggests that supertasters are more sensitive to bitter tastes and fattiness in food, and often show lower acceptance of foods that are high in these taste qualities. Tasters tend to dislike strong, bitter foods like raw broccoli, grapefruit juice, coffee and dark chocolate.
So, I am now curious if I or anyone in my family is a supertaster - I bet Jon is since he does not eat many veggies! The question is should I shell out $5 to see if we are or not or do you think it is a waste of money/gimmick? Yale says it is true http://research.yale.edu/ysm/article.jsp?articleID=77
$5 is not much to have proof as to why your child or husband is a picky eater (: I will let you know!
1 comment:
Meg is a supertaster for sure! That is really interesting...but I think it's more interesting how Shay randomly loved Spinach salad.
Post a Comment